The first illustration is an undated photo of the exterior, likely to
have been taken around the time of the church's consecration.
The second is a vintage postcard, not dated, which again shows the
interior, but this time complete with statues of saints in the niches at the
entrance to the chancel, and with electric lighting fitted.
It does not, however, show Fellowes
Prynne's magnificent reredos, which you can see in the third postcard
The fourth picture is of a postcard posted in May 1911, showing the
exterior from the south west. The apse of the Lady chapel is clearly seen.
Described in guide book of 1949 thus:
Nearly 150 feet in length with a breadth of 82 feet, it stands as a noble
example of the English Mediaeval style adapted. The nave has five bays clearly
marked internally by vertical wall shafts which run up nearly to the roof-plate
level and carry the main moulded principles of the roof and externally by flat,
stepped buttresses. The walls are 30 feet in height, having somewhat low arches
with a good clerestory above. A lofty arch carried right up to and following the
curve of the barrel roof divides the nave from the chancel. All the windows of
the arches, clerestory and West end are wide-splayed lancets. The floor of the
nave slopes slightly from West to East to make the High Altar more visible to
the congregation. The huge barrel roof of the nave and chancel has a coloured
moulding, while the trussed roof of the Lady Chapel is richly embellished with
fleur-de-lis, monograms of Our Lady and stars on a blue background, and the one
in the All Souls’ Chapel has a stencil design on it. The total internal height
is 42 feet. The chancel and sanctuary are 45 feet by 25 feet and are carried to
the same height as the nave, from which a series of nine steps leads to the
Altar in the well-spaced sanctuary, where three sedilia have been let into the
south wall. Advantage has been taken of a fall of 17 feet in the land at the
East end to build commodious vestries, organ chamber, store room and lavatory in
the crypt, while a priest’s sacristy is provided on the South side of and on the
same level as the Chancel. The flèche - or steeple - has led many to describe
the style of the building as French Gothic; it is copper-plated with crockets
and has a striking figure of the Archangel Gabriel on top of it. Local stone was
used for the walls and dressings externally, and red brick with stone dressings
internally. The Sunday School has three main rooms marked by movable partitions
with a kitchen and cloakroom at either end and is joined to a beautiful arched
cloister connecting it with the Church, and bordering a grass quadrangle and
flower-beds. The niche on the exterior of the Lady Chapel is intended one day to
hold a statue of the Mother of Our Lord.
Particular features to note, in addition to above:
The Baptistery - Apsidal at the west end, with
brilliantly colourful mosaic walls of red, green, blue, gold and white,
surmounted by three stained glass lancets. This gives the otherwise stark west
end elevation interest internally and externally.
The Windows are by Edward Prynne.
The Cloister - In no other Fellowes Prynne church
has this feature been seen, save in the design for the church at Johannesburg.
It gives the whole building a sense of dignity, and unifies the church building
with that of the Sunday school.
At the opening ceremony, at which Fellowes Prynne
carried the processional cross, which he donated, he was described as being
"…as good a churchman as he is an architect."
As a thank offering he also donated a bronze figure
to be added to the processional cross.