HADLOW DOWN West Sussex
Restoration 1913. This retained most of the old tower and part of the
nave wall. It also entirely re-modelled the design and added new chancel,
sanctuary, Lady chapel and vestries. In the Lady chapel there is a painting
above the marble altar which is understood to be Edward Prynne’s Magnificat.
Interestingly, here at Hadlow Down are to be found two altars of totally
contrasting styles, one of which has only been found elsewhere so far at
St. George, Benenden in Kent,
St Nicolas, Taplow in Bucks, and at
St Peter, Harrow, Middlesex. It
is entirely of marble, and is not in the usual three panelled style. Instead,
there is a central cross within a square, and rectangles either side of the
square. At the point where the arms of the cross intersect, there is a circle.
The circle is filled with a yellow coloured marble, the square and rectangles
with a greyish colour. The cross and the rest of the framework of the design are
in white marble. There is a platform, with integral tabernacle. This is the Lady
chapel altar. The high altar is in the expected format. The decoration around
the three panels is typical and there is again a platform and tabernacle. What
is unusual about this altar is that it includes carved figures at either end,
each in a niche. The panels are each occupied by a painting by Edward Prynne;
the centre shows Christ in Majesty, and He is flanked by censer-waving angels.
The effect is of great colour, as the light-coloured figures are set against a
rich and vivid turquoise ground, setting off the detail of the figures and the
The unused postcard shows the restored chancel and sanctuary. To the right of the image
can be seen the Lady chapel altar, and above it, Edward Prynne's painting.